Monday, May 9, 2011

Mr. Rogers and His Episodes on Adoption

The following is a post from an Adoptive Families Magazine blog that's helpful for those with preschoolers looking for resources to help them discuss adoption:

I have been a fan of Mister Rogers since I was a toddler myself. I am now introducing my children (2.5 years and 17 months) to Mister Rogers and they love him too. I really feel that his show is one of the best children’s programs in the history of television!


Which is why I was so thrilled to discover that Fred Rogers did some episodes on adoption. (Did anyone else know he had an adopted sister?) I ordered them off Amazon and watched them as soon as they arrived. They do not disappoint! I’m always looking at ways to introduce the theme of adoption into our lives so that our children grow up knowing they can talk about it. What I love about the Mister Rogers episodes is that it introduces the topic in his unique, gentle way and he talks about all the feelings that can result from adoption—including the fact that it is ok for adopted children to sometimes feel sad or angry or sacred because they are adopted.


The adoption episodes originally aired in the mid-80’s during a week-long theme entitled “Families Come in Different Sizes and Shapes.” The entire series include episodes #1551-1555. They can be ordered off Amazon as part of the recordable DVD program, meaning that the episodes are saved to DVD’s and shipped only as the orders come in.

There is also a well-known book entitled “Adoption: Let’s Talk about It” that was originally released about the same. I’m looking forward to that arriving soon!


I recommend these DVD’s to other adoptive parents looking at ways to introduce the concept of adoption to their toddler/preschool-aged child.

You can order the DVD's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment