Friday, June 26, 2009

“I'M LEGIT” A NEW SONG ABOUT ADOPTION


ZARA PHILLIPS FEATURING DMC

Phillips:

The song 'I'm Legit' has been written to raise awareness about the situation of closed birth records in the U.S. What I mean is the lack of rights that an adult adopted person has to have access to their own original birth certificate.


Both Darryl and I are adopted. I was adopted in the U.K where the records were opened in 1976, which meant that I could gain access to my original birth certficate and find out my birth mother's name. Darryl does not have that right. In fact there are only eight states that allow access, including Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Kansas, New Hampshire, Oregon, Tennessee, and most recently, Maine. In New Jersey people have been trying for 29 years to change the law. Adopted people who just want to know their birth name, and find out family and medical history.
more . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment